Up to 40 stations on the London Underground network are to be shut as the city attempts to reduce the effect of the coronavirus outbreak.
Transport for London (TfL) announced there would be a partial shutdown of the network from Thursday morning.
Additionally, there will be no night Tube and bus services will also be reduced, it said.
The move comes after Boris Johnson said the virus was spreading faster in London than other parts of the UK.
Latest government figures show there have been more than 900 confirmed cases of coronavirus in London and 34 people have died in the city.
Earlier this week, the prime minister urged people to work from home and to avoid bars, pubs and restaurants.
This was followed by a large drop in the amount of passengers on the London Underground network during the week.
However, some commuters have complained that trains had become busier, particularly where fewer services were running on lines.
One key worker, who asked to remain anonymous, said it was “a lot busier” during her journey on the District Line compared to earlier in the week.
She added that she felt “more concerned” travelling because fewer services meant there are “more people in a confined space”.
“It didn’t feel like people were staying at home,” she said.
Nine stations are currently closed but commuters have been advised to check the TfL website in case more are shut.
From Friday, the Waterloo and City line will shut completely and from Monday TfL said it would gradually reduce other parts of its network.
These include the London Overground, TfL Rail, the DLR and the Tram network in south London.
Transport bosses have said staff who are available to work will be redeployed “to ensure the resilience of the regular Tube and Overground services”.
From Monday, buses will also run a Saturday timetable although night services will continue “to provide critical workers with a reliable night option”, TfL said.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said people should not be travelling unless it was essential.
He said: “Londoners should be avoiding social interaction unless absolutely necessary, and that means they should be avoiding using the transport network unless absolutely necessary.
“London will get through these extraordinarily challenging times, and ensuring the capital’s critical workers can move around the city will be crucial.
“We owe it to them to do whatever we can to help them do their jobs effectively.”
Underground stations facing closure from Thursday:
- Bakerloo Line: Lambeth North, Regents Park, Warwick Avenue, Kilburn Park, Charing Cross
- Central Line: Holland Park, Queensway, Lancaster Gate, Chancery Lane, Redbridge
- Circle Line: Bayswater, Great Portland Street, Barbican
- District Line: Bow Road, Stepney Green, Mansion House, Temple, St James’s Park, Gloucester Road
- Jubilee Line: Swiss Cottage, St John’s Wood, Bermondsey, Southwark
- Northern Line: Tuffnell Park, Chalk Farm, Mornington Crescent, Goodge Street, Borough, Clapham South, Tooting Bec, South Wimbledon, Hampstead
- Piccadilly Line: Caledonian Road, Arsenal, Covent Garden, Hyde Park Corner, Bounds Green, Manor House
- Victoria Line: Pimlico, Blackhorse Road
TfL advised passengers to check the website for live updates.
Although there are no plans to suspend the congestion charge, a spokesperson for TfL said: “Some NHS staff are already eligible for reimbursements from the congestion charge in certain circumstances.
“Patients clinically assessed as too sick to travel by public transport are eligible for reimbursements from both the congestion charge and the ULEZ.”